So our trip is done and we are recovering from 27 hours spent in airports and airplanes to get home. Today is all about laundry and resting up. Not a great trip home due to so many things. Among them were weather (Denver airport closed for a time as we were attempting to land so we got to circle for a while), late flights and construction at airports made this a really long day.
I wasn’t going to add this but I want to see it in print so feel free to skip it. This is what our travel home day was like.
- Woke up at 3:15 am onboard Celebrity Reflection (As usual, couldn’t sleep).
- Left Reflection at 6:45 am (early).
- Arrived at Dublin Airport at 7:35.
- Sat in shared business class lounge with Bob and Holly until our flight to London Heathrow left at 10:50 am.
- Arrived London Heathrow, Terminal 5 at 12:20 pm.
- Transferred to London Heathrow Terminal 3 for flight to Denver. Took the better part of an hour.
- Sat in British Terminal 3 Business lounge until 2:40 when we boarded our flight to Denver.
- Arrived in Denver at 6:15 pm Denver time after circling due to weather.
- Stood in line for almost an hour at Customs in Denver as all inbound flights had been held for weather and then all arrived at the same time. It was a bloody zoo.
- Due to the fact that we could not get a Business Class award flight direct to Seattle we flew to Denver (instead of home to Seattle) we had to now check all our luggage back in for a short flight to Seattle (that we paid for…in coach) that was supposed to leave at 7:35 pm.
- Due to all the late arrivals, our flight didn’t leave until 9:06 pm.
- Arrived in Seattle at 10:55 pm.
- After getting our luggage we grabbed a Lyft and wound up getting home at 11:45.
So that was our day. Too long. And all to get award seats from BA via Alaska Miles. Which will bring me to a future post on finding award seats in the near future. I promise.
And now to the reason for this post. The schedule of what is to come this week. My plan is to post Iceland day 1 tomorrow afternoon, Iceland day 2 on Tuesday, Iceland day 3 and 4 on Friday. Hope that keeps you all up to date without overwhelming anyone with too much to read.
Technology doesn’t address everything – for example, air travel still sucks. —Brad Feld