I love lists! It’s the end of the years so the magazines, newspapers, websites are all featuring best of 2018 lists so I am in hog heaven right now. Which brings me to this page where I will post my lists. I will also add them as posts on the Home page but you will always be able to find them right here.
Places we have been together
So let’s start my lists with a personal one…countries that Kathleen and I have visited. To get on this list, we have to visited this country on the ground (that means changing planes doesn’t count) and together.
- USA (of course we were born here)
- Canada (Our home away from home. We have so many friends there.)
- Italy (Our first overseas trip to find my ancestors)
- Vatican City
- England (Part of our second major trip in 2005)
- Scotland (Part of our second major trip in 2005)
- France (Part of our second major trip in 2005)
- Aruba (Our first real cruise through the Panama Canal on Celebrity’s Infinity)
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic (One of our few Caribbean cruises on Celebrity’s Infinity)
- Greece (Part of an amazing “Exotic Mediterranean” cruise on Celebrity’s Galaxy)
- The Ukraine
- Spain (Part of an amazing Western Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity’s Century)
- British Virgin Islands (One of our few Caribbean cruises on Celebrity’s Solstice)
- St. Maarten
- Singapore (Maybe my favorite cruise ever on Azamara’s Quest)
- New Zealand (Part of a wonderful cruise on Celebrity’s Century)
- Belgium (Visited on our Baltic cruise on Celebrity’s Eclipse)
- Guatemala (Our second trip through the Panama Canal on Celebrity’s Infinity)
- The Netherlands (Almost a week here before our British Isles cruise on Celebrity’s Silhouette)
This summer we will be back in Ireland and adding Iceland to this list. And of course we have been back to a bunch of these places numerous times. And there are many we would like to visit again.
Best small cities in the USA (from Conde Nast magazine)
15. Santa Barbara, California
14. Newport, Rhode Island
13. Palm Springs, California
12. Napa, California
11. Portland, Maine
10. Key West, Florida
9. Greenville, South Carolina
8. Asheville, North Carolina
7. Monterey, California
6. Sedona, Arizona
5. Sarasota, Florida
4. Alexandria, Virginia
3. Savannah, Georgia
2. Sante Fe, New Mexico
1. Charleston, South Carolina
I see a lot of these lists. I don’t think I have ever seen one I agree with as much as this one. We have been to a number of these small cities and loved them all. I will make some notes about those. In the meantime I need to add the ones we haven’t been to yet, to our list of future places to go. So far we have not visited Alexandria, VA (other than a quick stop on the outskirts while visiting Washington, DC), Asheville, NC, Greenville, SC and Newport, RI. I have been to Sarasota (and loved it) but Kathleen hasn’t so I never count a place as visited unless we both go.
Some thoughts on the other small cities:
Number 15–Santa Barbara, CA and Number 7–Monterey, CA. We haven’t been to either of these places in years. They were both part of our Mom-to-Mom tour we took years ago. We flew into Oakland and visited Kathleen’s mom in San Leandro (near Oakland) and then drove all the way down the coast (staying in both these towns) to visit my Mom in Number 13–Palm Springs, CA. We loved them all but we haven’t been back to Monterey or Santa Barbara in years. Maybe it’s time.
Number 13–Palm Springs, CA. If you know me, you know this is where I grew up. Lived here from the time I was four years old until I graduated from high school (Palm Springs High class of 1971) and went off to college and then moved back for a couple of years after college. My parents lived there until they passed away a few years ago so we have spent a LOT of time there over the last 20 years since I met Kathleen visiting them. I suppose I see Palm Springs from an entirely different point of view than I would as just a place to visit. We were last there in March of last year when our Toronto buddies, Tim and Perry were visiting for some sunshine so we went to meet them.
It has also been awhile since we visited Napa, CA (Number 12) and Key West, Florida (Number 10) but when we did we had a super time. If I had to choose which one to go back to first, I would pick Key West. Our visit was only three days/two nights but we really had a great time. But then we were visiting with our buddies Bob and Jude so that may have been it.
Lastly in the last two years we have done some major touring in all of the top three. We did a week long trip to New Mexico which included Santa Fe (Number 2) and also got to see Albuquerque as well…during the Balloon Festival…which was incredible and if you ever get a chance to attend—do it! Plus we have friends in New Mexico (Hi Mary and John) who took us so many places and made so many great recommendations. If you ever go to Sante Fe, make sure you go to Meow Wolf. I wish I could describe it but the morning we spent there was nothing less than surreal…and fun. Check out their website with that link.
Lastly, just a few short months ago (it seems like a few but it was May 2017) we spent a week touring the Low Country and visiting Savannah, GA (Number 3) and Charlestown (Number 1) and would go back in a minute. Loved both places a bunch. Click the Low Country link and see what we did while there. We can highly recommend just about every single place we went while we were there and we loved the food.
I just realized that I skipped Portland, ME (Number 11). I think that because we were really only there for about half a day on our New England cruise last October and it was hot, humid and horrid. Kathleen almost wound up with heat stroke. Who would have guessed that it would be almost 90 degrees in Portland, Maine in October? We need to give the place another chance. Just not sure when.
So, what small cities have you been to that you loved? What would you go back to? What would you have skipped? Where is the next small city you wan to visit? Let me know in the comments.
Our favorite shore excursions
- Touring Amalfi with Marcello in 2006
- Touring Bangkok with Tong in 2010
- Touring Inverness with Ian in 2016
- Touring Nice, Monaco and Eze with Sylvie in 2007
- Touring the Panama Canal control room with Roberto in 2014
- Touring Akaroa, NZ on our own in 2012
- Harv & Marv whale watching in Juneau, Alaska in 2007
- Jet boating in Acapulco in 2004